Don't let bad breath spoil a romantic evening. Some simple steps — from daily flossing to snacking on sugar-free foods — can help keep your breath fresh.
Fortunately, there's much you can do to battle bad breath. Here are some steps you can take:
1. Brush and floss daily.
2. Brush your tongue and use a tongue scraper if necessary.
3. Rinse with plain water after meals if brushing isn't an option.
4. Get regular professional checkups to catch and treat periodontal disease.
5. Seek medical care for underlying health problems.
6. Snack on sugar-free foods (such as carrots and celery) or chew gum sweetened with xylitol to clear away debris and keep saliva flowing.
7. Use an over-the-counter mouthwash containing zinc. Your dentist may also prescribe a rinse with chlorhexidine. Be aware, though, that long-term use of this ingredient can stain teeth.